Overview:
Five people were reportedly arrested and confessed to having sold the vehicle in the Democratic Republic of Congo according to a Police Press statement published on December 7 2021. The Ambulance has since never been recovered.
A vehicle valued at about 150 million shillings has been stolen from Gulu Regional Referral Hospital in an incident that has shocked the hospital management.
The stolen vehicle, a Toyota Land Cruiser Prado registration number UBE 639F, was reportedly taken from the hospital parking lot on February 10 at about 8:20 p.m.
The vehicle was donated in 2022 by USAID RHITES North to support the hospital’s operations across the Acholi Sub-region.
Walter Uryek-Wun, the Hospital Principal Assistant Secretary, told Uganda Radio Network on Friday that the vehicle had been parked at the hospital when an unidentified man casually walked into the compound and drove it out.
According to Uryek-Wun, the vehicle had recently been used for official duties, including a trip to Maracha District on February 6 for the burial of a hospital staff member and another journey to Kiryandongo District on February 7. It was again used on Monday February 9 and parked on Tuesday February 10 before it vanished later that evening.
He noted that a review of CCTV footage showed a man wearing a cap entering the hospital premises and heading straight to where the vehicle was parked.
Uryek-Wun said footage recorded during the day captured the same individual within the hospital compound wearing the same outfit, and that he did not significantly alter his appearance when he returned at night to steal the vehicle.
“The person came putting on a cap to disguise himself according to the CCTV footage we reviewed, but at least the same person was also seen during the day time with the same outfit. So there is some good link somewhere and we seem to be getting closer to finding the culprit. He didn’t do much to change his identity at night,” Uryek-Wun said.
He described the theft as a major shock to the hospital management, noting that the presence of surveillance cameras and security guards had given them a sense of security. He suspects the incident could have been an “inside job” by someone familiar with the hospital environment, though not necessarily a staff member.
“This has come as a very big shock to us because the cameras are there and then from nowhere a person comes in. I also think it looks like an insider, not a staff but somebody who is familiar with us,” he said.
Uryek-Wun revealed that by last week, five people had been arrested in connection with the theft, including two drivers who last used the vehicle and three security guards who were on duty that night. The suspects were taken to Gulu Central Police Station to assist with investigations.
He also noted that this was not the first time hospital vehicles had been targeted, recalling a similar attempt last year that was foiled.
Joseph Karugaba, the Gulu City Police Commander, confirmed the arrests but clarified that only one key suspect, a driver, remains in detention at Gulu Central Police Station as inquiries into the alleged theft continue.
The incident at Gulu Regional Referral Hospital isn’t isolated. Similar case was registered at Arua Regional Referral Hospital in March 2021 when a hospital Ambulance donated by the Ministry of Health was stolen from the parking lot.
Five people were reportedly arrested and confessed to having sold the vehicle in the Democratic Republic of Congo according to a Police Press statement published on December 7 2021. The Ambulance has since never been recovered.
***URN****
