Deputy Speaker of Parliament Thomas Tayebwa has revealed that Parliament has initiated dialogue with the management of the Nation Media Group -NMG to resolve the ongoing standoff following the blocking of NMG journalists from covering parliamentary proceedings earlier this week.
The move comes after Opposition legislators demanded an explanation from the House leadership over the withdrawal of accreditation for NMG reporters, who work with NTV Uganda and the Daily Monitor, despite being formally cleared to cover Parliament.
The dispute erupted on Tuesday morning when NTV journalists were denied access to Parliament’s premises. Security officers reportedly informed them that they had “instructions not to let them in” and subsequently confiscated their accreditation badges.
During plenary, Butambala County MP Muwanga Kivumbi, who was serving as Acting Leader of the Opposition, condemned the incident as an “assault on media freedom and public accountability.” “One of the most credible media houses, NTV, was stopped from accessing Parliament this morning, and their accreditation literally cancelled,” Kivumbi said.
He attributed the move to possible discomfort over NTV’s recent coverage of politically sensitive stories involving senior parliamentary figures. “As we head toward elections, tolerance and press freedom are critical,” Kivumbi added. “No matter how uncomfortable we are with the media, they have a right to say what they see.” He warned that barring journalists from covering Parliament breeds suspicion and undermines democracy.
In response, Deputy Speaker Thomas Tayebwa said he was unaware of the incident and distanced himself from the accreditation process. “Thank you, Hon. Kivumbi. This is the first time I’m hearing of it. We have an accreditation process, but neither the Speaker nor I participate in it,” he stated.
He later revealed that he had instructed the Clerk to Parliament to investigate the circumstances surrounding the matter and to engage directly with both the Uganda Parliamentary Press Association -UPPA and NMG management to defuse tensions. “I have asked the Clerk to engage with the UPPA and the Directorate of Communications to clarify what happened and ensure accredited journalists are treated fairly; Parliament remains open to the media,” Tayebwa said in a follow-up statement. The Leader of Opposition, Joel Ssenyonyi, was the first to raise the alarm publicly, accusing Parliament’s top leadership of retaliating against critical reporting.
Ssenyonyi posted on X (formerly Twitter): “NTV’s press tags were withdrawn at the gate. Security said they had instructions not to let them in. We’re told Parliament leadership is angry over stories about ‘unopposed candidates,’ including the Speaker and Deputy Speaker. What a shame!”
National Unity Platform (NUP) President Robert Sentamu Kyagulanyi, alias Bobi Wine, condemned the incident as a dangerous attack on the Fourth Estate: “Blocking journalists from Parliament because of their reporting is a new low. This House belongs to the people, and the media is their voice. Silencing them only exposes the fear of the truth.”
Kyagulanyi said in a statement shared online.
He urged Parliament to reverse the ban and apologise to the affected journalists, calling press freedom “non-negotiable in any democracy worth its name.”
The National Association of Broadcasters -NAB also expressing concern over what it termed “a worrying trend of institutional intolerance toward the media.”
In a statement issued on Thursday, NAB Chairperson Kin Kariisa, who also serves as NBS CEO Uganda, welcomed Tayebwa’s move to open dialogue but urged Parliament to ensure such incidents do not recur. “We appreciate the Deputy Speaker’s gesture to seek dialogue. However, we urge Parliament to uphold its commitment to transparency by ensuring that accredited journalists are not arbitrarily denied access,” the statement read.
NAB emphasized that media freedom and access to information are essential pillars of democracy, especially ahead of the 2026 general elections. “Any action that curtails the work of journalists weakens accountability and undermines public trust in institutions,” Kariisa added.
The Uganda Parliamentary Press Association -UPPA, led by President Samuel Ibanda Mugabi, has formally written to Parliament’s Director of Communications, Chris Obore, requesting a meeting to resolve the impasse.“We request audience with the leadership to understand the rationale behind this decision and find a resolution,” Ibanda stated in a letter dated October 28, 2025.
“Constructive engagement can resolve any misunderstandings. The press must be allowed to perform its duties without fear.”
This isn’t the first time Parliament has faced criticism for restricting media access.
Reporters from Parliament Watch and other independent outlets have previously been denied entry over coverage deemed critical by some officials. The latest incident has reignited debate about Uganda’s commitment to press freedom, with civil society groups warning that such actions erode public confidence in governance.
***URN***
