A soldier from the elite Special Forces Command (SFC) is on the run after allegedly shooting dead three civilians and critically injuring three others in Agago District.
The suspect has been identified as Private RA/249451 Bony Ameny 45, a resident of Ocini Tetulu village, Kamdini Sub-county, in Oyam District who was deployed to Pakor Dungu detach in Parabongo sub-county, Agago district.
Security officials reported that Ameny opened fire on the civilians at about 12:30 am Monday from Ngora East village, in Paimol Sub-county, about 15 kilometers outside his area of deployment.
Local leaders identified the deceased as Florence Ajalo 16, Akidi Santina 52, and her 19-year-old daughter Sunday Apio.
The injured are Charles Kidega 45, who was shot in both legs, Janet Apio 20, and her one-and-a-half-year-old daughter Blessing Agenorwot Blessing, all currently receiving medical treatment at Dr. Ambrosoli Hospital in Kalongo Town Council.
George William Kilama, the Lai Muttu Sub-County LC 3 Chairperson told Uganda Radio Network in an interview that an unhealthy relationship between the suspect and his wife triggered the incident.
Kilama notes that the suspect’s wife who had been staying in Oyam district but recently returned to Paimol Sub-county and rekindled her old affair with the father of his child.
He said the suspect on Sunday evening left his duty station and camped in Ngora East Village after being tipped off about his wife’s new love affairs and abducted at gunpoint a man from the village to lead him.
According to Kilama, some witnesses reported the abduction and when they tried following up, the suspect opened fire at them, before shooting others who turned up to see what was happening after the gunshots.
James Nabinson Kidega, the Agago Resident District Commissioner and also chairperson of the district security committee confirmed the incident to Uganda Radio Network in an interview Monday.
Kidega condemned the action of the suspect whose assignment was meant to protect the lives of the community members.
He said both the police and the army are investigating the incident and already pursuing the suspect who is on the run so that justice is served to the victims of the senseless killings.
The suspect is among some dozen elite soldiers under the SFC who were deployed two years ago in Agago district to combat the rampant cattle rustling by suspected Karimojong warriors.
By press time, the deceased bodies had been taken to Dr Ambrosoli Memorial Hospital waiting for postmortem. A case of murder by shooting has since been registered by the police at Kalongo Police Station UNnder SD03/21/10/2024/CRB160/2024.
