Overview:
Oficials from the Ministry of Works and Transport and leaders from the West Nile sub-region have expressed confidence that the Koboko–Yumbe–Moyo Road Corridor Project will be completed within the revised timeline, despite early delays caused by bureaucratic processes at the start of implementation.
Oficials from the Ministry of Works and Transport and leaders from the West Nile sub-region have expressed confidence that the Koboko–Yumbe–Moyo Road Corridor Project will be completed within the revised timeline, despite early delays caused by bureaucratic processes at the start of implementation.
The project involves the construction of roads and bridges across refugee-hosting districts of Koboko, Yumbe and Moyo in the West Nile region.
On September 20th, 2020, the World Bank approved a grant of 130.8 million US dollars under the International Development Association (IDA) to support the project.
Implementation is now being handled by the Ministry of Works and Transport following the dissolution of the Uganda National Roads Authority, whose functions were merged into the ministry.
During a site visit on Saturday across Koboko, Yumbe and Moyo, officials and local leaders assessed the progress of works and noted steady advancement despite earlier setbacks — particularly delays in commencing physical works when compensation for Project Affected Persons (PAPs) had not yet been completed.
State Minister for Works and Transport Musa Ecweru described the progress as impressive and said completion is now expected by 2027 following an extension of the project timeline.He also urged the contractor to adhere to project guidelines and ensure proper use of construction materials.
According to a ministry report, a total of 85 million US dollars has so far been disbursed by the World Bank, with 60 percent already utilised.
Works completed so far include earthworks, road opening, and tarmacking on sections of the 105-kilometre corridor.
Project Manager Eng. Alex Otim said overall completion currently stands at 30 percent, with an average monthly progress rate of 3 percent. He added that more than 95 percent of compensation for Project Affected Persons has been completed.
Leaders from the three beneficiary districts welcomed the progress, noting that once completed and commissioned in 2027, the road will significantly improve transport and boost economic activity in the region.
Koboko District LC5 Chairperson Ashraf Mambo attributed the progress to strong collaboration among stakeholders and expressed confidence that the project will be completed on schedule.
West Moyo Member of Parliament Alero Tom Aza also expressed satisfaction with the progress but urged the ministry to ensure that the proposed Laropi Bridge is constructed to improve connectivity and facilitate crossing over the River Nile.
With works now at 30 percent completion and 70 percent remaining, the Ministry of Works and Transport continues to work toward meeting the revised 2027 deadline.
****URN****
