Travelers on the Sinyanya-Adjumani road can now breathe a sigh of relief as the Uganda National Roads Authority (UNRA) has initiated works to address the flooded section of the road.

The waterlogged stretch, spanning approximately 30 meters, had severely disrupted the movement of people and goods between Obongi and Adjumani districts via the Obongi-Sinyanya ferry for nearly a month. To navigate the obstruction, travelers, and residents resorted to utilizing the Laropi-Umi Ferry as an alternative route to cross between Adjumani and Obongi districts. 

Allan Ssempebwa, the Communications Officer for the Uganda National Roads Authority (UNRA), stated that they anticipate the completion of the repairs by the end of next week, enabling the Obongi-Sinyanya Ferry to resume its regular operations.

On February 14, 2024, the Uganda National Roads Authority suspended the operations of the Obongi-Sinyanya ferry as a precautionary measure in response to the threat of safety hazards posed by floods resulting from rising water levels in the River Nile, which rendered a portion of the road impassable. 

Hamid Aliga, the councilor representing Obongi town council, expressed satisfaction with the progress of the repair works, acknowledging the relief it has brought to locals who had been anxiously awaiting the restoration of the road. 

Aliga stated, “The excavator is on-site to address the flooded segment of the road. Residents have been concerned about the delayed repairs of the affected section.” Meanwhile, Abdulai Rangaraga, a businessman in Obongi Town Council, urged the government to implement a lasting solution to mitigate flooding along the Sinyanya-Adjumani Road. 

“This is not the first time floods have disrupted operations at the Obongi ferry. We implore UNRA to address this recurring issue to ensure uninterrupted business activities,” he emphasized. In July 2020, the Uganda National Roads Authority (UNRA) suspended the operations of the Obongi-Sinyanya ferry in the West Nile sub-region due to rising water levels in the Albert Nile, which submerged the docking site. 

Operations resumed two and a half years later following the completion of rehabilitation works.


Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *